The Spectre Of Gunplay Rears It's Ugly Head..



I wrote about this a few years ago and I sporadically keep reading stories about it. The subject..towing professionals getting into gun related altercations on the job site. I just read about another case in Lexington Kentucky where a person held a gun right to the towers head.


The article I read did not go into intense detail but it did say the person being towed got into an argument with the tow professional. I would imagine this happens a lot. I do not know what was said but I know one thing, the minute the person pulled the gun, no job, no tow, or no argument is worth being dead.


My point is that the time to think about how you are going to handle this situation is long before someone pulls a gun. I am sure the tower did everything they could to avoid this and I am sure it was not his fault. What I am saying, what I have proposed, is that clear set procedures be in place long before hostility culminates in potential gun violence.


An individual tower, or tow company needs to know BEFOREHAND exactly what they should say if the person being towed shows signs of agitation or engages them verbally. Having set mental responses in place will allow you or your tow force to rely on this training and not just have an off the cuff reaction to the person that is threatening them.


Ignoring the patron is also not an option. A clear set of procedures for different contingents is the only option. The key is to try to get away from the job site before it escalates into violence. I talk about this subject in greater detail in a past article I wrote for American Towman. Contact me if you would like the link.


Be safe out there!


http://towindustryweek.com/News-Items-234/newsT-2-13-13gun-drawn-in-towing-dispute.html

===================================================================




2 comments:

  1. Confrontations with consumers presents the highest area of risk in our industry. There are "danger signs" that allows us to recognize and avoid confrontational events. There are ways to de-escalate this type of scenario and all operators should be trained in proper handling of these actions. CAT... Confrontational Avoidance Techniques should be required training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right this kind of job classifies dangerous, and you need
    to be careful.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment